While I’ve had some good reminiscences watching Tottenham Hotspur play on Thanksgiving Day in years previous, within the days main as much as Thursday’s match I made a decision that this yr I’d moderately have a football-free Thanksgiving with household and glorious meals than attempt to organize my schedule round a soccer match.
It appears I made a great determination in that regard.
Tottenham Hotspur traveled to Maribor, Slovenia to play [checks notes] NS Mura, at present fifth within the Slovenian Premier League, and the lowest-ranked group within the third tier Europa Conference League… and misplaced, 2-1. Spurs went behind after 11 minutes due to a defensive slip (in a couple of sense of the phrase) by Davinson Sanchez that resulted in Tommy Horvat rifling a shot into the highest nook previous Pierluigi Gollini. Then after a half hour, Spurs had been down to 10 males after Ryan Sessegnon picked up his second yellow card for a rash problem.
Spurs got here again to dominate a lot of the second half, equalized by way of Harry Kane and threatened on a number of different events, solely to have all that work utterly undone once more when Mura scored a second time on the dying on a deflected shot that caromed off Davinson Sanchez once more.
This was principally Mura’s Super Bowl, their Disney underdog sports activities film, perhaps their Miracle on Ice, decide your simile. The factor about David vs. Goliath matches is that generally David really wins. Mura received the match 2-1 and Spurs’ Europa Conference League-winning marketing campaign is now on the verge of being derailed within the group stage.
Yowza. I watched a replay within the night over some pie and a powerful cup of decaf, each of which I loved far, excess of the match. Here are my notes.
- Let’s begin with some good (or no less than not terrible) information: Tanguy Ndombele appeared fairly good, no less than in contrast with a lot of the different Tottenham performances in Maribor. Others will most likely disagree, however I feel they’re improper. Also thought Joe Rodon appeared fairly good and was sort of stunned that he was one of many 4 (!) subbed off as an alternative of Sanchez.
- Davinson, yikes. He performed fairly properly towards Leeds, so it was shocking to see him carry out this badly, however he was fairly terrible all through. Was placed on skates for Mura’s first aim (which was a banger, btw) even earlier than the slip, and whereas he was unlucky on the second, he additionally bought skinned once more. I dunno, y’all. I hate to make sweeping statements based mostly on one terrible efficiency, however that was not a great look.
- Bless Harry, he tried however he couldn’t carry this group on his again the complete match, particularly down to 10 males.
- Dele was one other participant who actually REALLY wanted to impress on Thursday and didn’t, in any respect. I’m a founding member of the Dele Defense League™ and am determined for him to show the haters improper — I’ll level out two instances the place he made good runs into area and wasn’t noticed — however I’m beginning to actually marvel now if he doesn’t want to go away ASAP only for his personal sanity.
- Bryan Gil is clearly a proficient younger participant, however I’m undecided the place he suits in a Conte aspect.
- Matt Doherty is only a poor participant, and in my head is up there with Grzegorz Rasiak, Bongani Khumalo, and David Bentley as one among Spurs’ worst ever signings.
- Sessegnon had a nightmare recreation, however I nonetheless suppose he has the flexibility to be a stable performer for Spurs and I disagree strongly with the (ridiculous) kneejerk requires him to be offered after this match. If anybody can enhance him, it’s Conte. Give him an opportunity.
- We’ll get into Conte’s feedback later, however suffice it to say he is aware of simply how huge a mission he has on his arms at Spurs in the meanwhile. Tottenham are simply not very deep.
- Rennes drew 3-3 with Vitesse in the present day, which might’ve been incredible information for Spurs had they received in the present day. Now, Rennes has clinched the group and Spurs play them at house within the ultimate group stage match. Spurs might want to match or higher Vitesse’s end result towards Mura (Spurs have a +2 GD) in the event that they need to escape the group, and even then they’re now assured a playoff sequence towards a 3rd place group from the Europa League group phases.