A volcanic eruption has occurred close to the Tonga Islands leading to a Tsunami Advisory for the north coast and Haida Gwaii, the central coast and northeast Vancouver Island, the outer west coast of Vancouver Island, the Juan de Fuca Strait coast.
The following parameters are primarily based on a speedy preliminary evaluation and modifications could happen.
- Event: Volcanic Eruption
- Depth: 1 miles
- Location: Tonga Islands
- Origin Time: 2027 PST Jan 14 2022
- Coordinates: 20.5 South 175.4 West
This Tsunami Advisory consists of the next zones of coastal British Columbia:
Forecast of Wave Activity Arrival Times:
- Langara: 0830 PST Jan 15
- Tofino: 0850 PST Jan 15
People in coastal areas which might be in danger are suggested to avoid the shoreline and heed directions from native authorities.
If you’re in a tsunami advisory space:
- Do not go to the shore to look at the tsunami.
- Move out of the water, off the seashore, and away from harbors, marinas, breakwaters, bays and inlets.
- Be alert to and comply with directions out of your native emergency officers as a result of they might have extra detailed or particular info in your location.
- Do not return to the coast till native emergency officers point out it’s protected to take action.
- Boat operators: the place time and circumstances allow, transfer your boat out to sea to a depth of at the very least 180 toes; if at sea keep away from getting into shallow water, harbors, marinas, bays, and inlets to keep away from floating and submerged particles and powerful currents.